This looks epic! I would be a newbie to this, and was going to be flying back to the UK late June to see family which looks increasingly unlikely. And the race looks like an incredible back up plan. I am sure this is on the back of everyone's mind, but equally late June is still a long way off. Has there been any consideration of Covid into planning and chances of this going ahead? before I start upgrading a few key bits of kit!
top of page
BC Epic 1000
bottom of page
Hi Lennard, thanks for the response and all totally makes sense. The situation looks likely to get better before it gets worse, and it is very hard to predict how long that will take. You have done a great effort to organise this event so would love to join one day, if not this year! Take it easy and hope you are still getting out on the trails. Robbie
Hi Robbie - thanks your interest in the Epic!! - yes, the current situation with Covid might well affect the Epic this year. With the situation as it is now and the current restrictions the BBQ the night before and the Grand Depart as we know it would not be allowed or wise. It is possible to run the Epic without these gatherings but it would significantly diminish the event in my opinion. And even with running the event without these in a format that would be allowed one has to question the wisdom and social responsibility of having multiple riders travelling from their home towns to the start and finish communities and by bike from one small community to the other along the route (with respect to limiting the exposure of these communities to the virus) as well as the fact that services and accommodations along the route as well as the start and finish communities might be limited or even closed. At present none of our very many international riders would be able to join us. So if the situation is the same or similar closer to the time the ride might not happen this year. I am however still hoping that things might improve and be much better by that time to the point that it would be reasonable and responsible to still do the ride. If not we will just have to come back bigger and better in 2021! I will likely make this decision round about middle May, so stay tuned!